November is Manatee Awareness Month, an annual month-long dedication to manatees and their conservation in Florida and beyond. Former Florida Governor Bob Graham first declared November as Manatee Awareness Month in 1979, when the state began designating manatee protection zones in areas where manatees gather during the winter. November is typically when manatees return to Florida’s warmer waters from their summer migratory routes.
Save the Manatee Club invites everyone to celebrate and safeguard imperiled manatees all month long. Public awareness is a key component of our mission to protect manatees. Boaters, swimmers, Florida residents, tourists, and any person who cares about manatees and healthy aquatic habitat all play a pivotal role in their protection when they learn and spread the word to others.
Throughout Manatee Awareness Month, we will be sharing manatee facts, videos, quizzes, e-cards, and opportunities to take action. You can see a suggested topics and activities below. Be sure to check out this page throughout the month, as well as our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages, for additional activities and ways you can help. Stayed tuned on social media for opportunities to receive a free 2023 manatee wall calendar.
Last but not least, we encourage all of our supporters to take this opportunity (if you haven’t yet) to show off your mana-team spirit by participating in the virtual Save the Manatee 5K event, which can be completed on your own time from anywhere in the world. In honor of Manatee Awareness Month, get $5 off all international and domestic packets by using code manatee5 at checkout.
Have you ever wondered where manatees go in the winter time when waters cool down? Watch our short video featuring SMC’s Manatee Specialist Wayne Hartley to learn the answer!
Topics and Activities
Manatee Migration and Habitat
- How Far Do Manatees Migrate?
- Where Do Manatees Go When the Weather Gets Cold?
- How Far Can a Manatee Swim in a Day?
- Florida Springs
- Online Manatee Puzzles
- Virtual Manatee Presentation
Learn how to schedule a virtual presentation for your classroom or group.
- Manatee Tabletop Craft Project
Fun Facts About Manatees
- What is a Manatee?
- Are Manatees Intelligent?
- Manatee Anatomy Show & Tell
- Sirenians of the World: How many species of manatees are there?
- Manatee Quiz
- Manatee Awareness Month Coloring Sheet by Connie Roy (pdf). Download, print, and enjoy!
How You Can Help Protect Manatees
- How to Help
- Resources for Boaters
- Tips for Swimmers and Divers
- For Future Generations: Please Keep Your Distance From Manatee Mating Herds
- Caring is Sharing: Safe Ways to Share our Waterways
- If You See a Manatee, Be Cool!
- How to Report Speed Zone Violations
- Manatee Manners: How to Safely Swim Near Manatees
- Please Don’t Feed or Water Manatees
- Responsible Paddling near Manatees
- Why Shouldn’t You Let Manatees Chew Rope?